Currently seeking: Junior Fellow
One in three patients suffer from a medical error in the hospital. One in six patients require extended care as a result. These system defects kill more than 100,000 children and adults every year in the United States and are estimated to cost our healthcare system well over $100 billion annually. Millions more experience other forms of preventable hospital-acquired harm. These limitations in providing safe and reliable patient care are now understood to stem from a variety of issues, including fragmented improvement initiatives; poor organizational culture; and significant opportunities to improve the use of data analytics and technology to drive improvement. An evolving regulatory environment poses yet another set of challenges to providers in caring for patients, requiring clinicians and hospital executives to deliver better higher quality at lower cost – increasing the demand by healthcare systems under material margin pressure for solutions that increase efficiency and reduce cost.
The mission of Pascal Metrics is to reduce patient harm and related cost. Pascal is in the business of enabling the world’s leading healthcare systems to deliver safer and more reliable patient care at lower cost in rapidly changing regulatory and reimbursement environments. We accomplish this by delivering solutions combining real-time surveillance, survey-based analytics, and consulting services.
Today our real-time field-leading SaaS-based patient safety platform, Pascal HealthBench®, delivers a broad range of interactive analytics, clinical improvement tools, performance benchmarks, as well as support for data-driven clinical interventions at the point of care. Pascal is an industry pioneer, exemplified by being on the leading edge of predicting adverse events at the point of care in real-time across the continuum of care – going well beyond predicting mortality or readmissions.
As a federally certified Patient Safety Organization (PSO), Pascal uniquely brings together leading scientific, clinical, and engineering expertise “under one roof,” which is crucial in its effort to remain the leader of real-time clinical improvement, as well as the holder of one of the largest patient safety data sets in the world. Headquartered in Washington DC, Pascal is highly regarded for its work with over 1,000 hospitals and healthcare systems in North America, Europe, the Middle East, and Asia.
The Junior Fellow is a key member of Pascal’s Applied Science team that is charged with extracting intellectual and commercial value out of Pascal’s significant databases on behalf of a large base of hospital and healthcare system clients worldwide; helping to develop products and services rooted in science that reflect clinical judgment; and serving as a valuable interface with the product, client services, clinical, and engineering groups.
As a vital part of the Applied Science group, the Junior Fellow will split their time between:
- Scientific & Platform Data Analysis & Client Support (50%): The Junior Fellow will work closely with our Client Services group to provide scientific and analytical support to our large client base. Additionally, they will be responsible for managing the analytical components of our Pascal HealthBench® platform.
- Research & Development (30%): Collaborating with other members of the Applied Science team, as well as members of the Product, Clinical, and Client Development groups, the Junior Fellow will conduct a variety of R&D projects and data analyses that seek to identify opportunities for Pascal to provide even greater value to our client partners.
- Original Research (20%): The Junior Fellow will serve as a member of Pascal’s research team that cultivates original research on the organizational dynamics of healthcare that conveys truth about the drivers of patient safety and influences how practitioners think and make decisions about healthcare quality.
- Work collaboratively with individuals from our Client Services and Engineering groups in supporting our clients using our Pascal HealthBench® platform, including overseeing the analytical components of the platform
- Extract data from our databases and conduct statistical analyses that inform the company about our current state and identify areas of opportunity for future growth
- Support clients with advanced statistical analysis of their data
- Create additional data visualizations and reports upon client request
- Support our Client Development, Clinical, and Product groups by gleaning insights from analyzing Pascal’s databases
- Prepare and publish white papers and case studies demonstrating the impact and value of our products and services
- Collaborative with client partners and academic colleagues in conducting original research projects
- Prepare and publish academic manuscripts that will contribute and advance the knowledge of the field
- Bachelor’s degree in quantitative or technical field (Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, or related filed of study)
- Strong SQL skills
- Experience analyzing and manipulating data using a scripting language (Python, Ruby, R, etc.)
- Previous experience working with and manipulating a variety of different types of data
- Proficient computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint and Microsoft Excel
- Proficiency with one of the following statistical programs: SPSS, SAS, R, MPLUS
- An open and collaborative attitude
- An inquisitive thinker
- Ability to work effectively in multidisciplinary teams
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to solve problems quickly
- Attention to detail
- Master’s degree in quantitative or technical field
- Previous experience with non-relational databases (MongoDB)
- Strong experience analyzing and manipulating data using a scripting language
- Experience using ETL tools and processes
Reporting Relationship – Director of Scientific Instruments
Competitive based on experience and past performance
Send cover letter, CV, applicable transcripts, and any publications to firstname.lastname@example.org
ALL APPLICANTS WILL RECEIVE CONSIDERATION REGARDLESS OF RACE, COLOR, SEX, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, NON DISQUALIFYING DISABILITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, RELIGIOUS AFFILIATION/NONAFFILIATION, POLITICAL AFFILIATION/NON AFFILIATION, GENETIC INFORMATION, MARITAL STATUS, OR PARENTAL STATUS.